So that hat I was making awhile back.. the one that was supposed to be really awesome with cables in the ribbing and everything? Yeah, well that didn’t work out so well. I followed the pattern and it looked beautiful. All until I had my husband try it on.
I LOVE the way it turned out, other than the fact that it’s way too big. Normally, I’d just say that you could fold the brim up and it would still be wearable, however since it has cables in the ribbing, the underside looks a little weird. Not a good solution.
Anyone know someone with a really big head that needs a hat?
Lately, I’ve been working on quite a few more knitting projects at a time than usual. I normally have about 3 projects going on at a time. As of right now, my Ravelry projects page shows me with about 7. Yep, it’s crunch time for getting those Christmas gifts finished!
My biggest project at the moment is the Arleen sweater for my sister (She’s already seen it, so I’m not going to worry about ruining the surprise).
Whitney trying on her in-progress Arleen sweater
For this cute sweater I used Lion Brand Wool Ease in Sea Spray. I like it because it’s washable. I know very well that she wouldn’t take the time to hand-wash a sweater so I figured I’d try and make it easy for her. This way it can actually be worn, not stuck in the closet all the time. As of now, I’ve got about 6ish more inches to go on the body. The original pattern is short sleeved, but I have considered making them longer… guess time will be the deciding factor. We’ll see. Oh, and I’ve also got to find just the right buttons for the neck closure. Hope to have this one finished soon!
Next, I’ve just started on a man’s hat. I’m using the Fisher Cable Hat pattern by Lindsey Felice. I’m really loving the cables in the ribbing! So glad I learned how to do cables and didn’t get scared off. They are so much fun!
The other two that are actual gifts are cowls. I’m actually considering frogging them and changing to a different pattern, just to save a bit of time. I’ll share more once I’ve really figured that part out.
What are you working on lately? Any recommendations for awesome quick gifts?
I’ve had this problem when knitting stockinette stitch where my purl rows look twisted. When knitting in the round, I would get these perfect even stitches but with knitting flat back and forth, the purl rows were awful looking.
I knew I must have been doing something wrong, but I couldn’t quite figure it out until this weekend…
You see, I’ve got this beautiful Madelinetosh Lace that I bought to make myself something beautiful with, but I knew I needed to figure out what was going on with my stitches before I started on anything because I didn’t want to waste such beautiful and pricey yarn on something that didn’t look perfect!
So, I started looking around the Internet at forum posts and someone mentioned that they figured out they were wrapping the yarn in the wrong direction. ta-da! That was exactly what I was doing wrong!
It turns out that you are supposed to wrap the yarn counter clockwise (not clockwise like I was doing)
To test this out, I knit a little swatch and tried my old way and the new way so that I could see the difference. It’s amazing what a difference doing it the right way makes!
Now that I’ve figured out my error, I’m all ready to start on my new sweater!
I’m so excited about my latest finished projects! One of my oldest friends is having her first baby at the end of the summer and so I had to make something super awesome and cute for her. I originally planned this one sweater, then couldn’t get it right and made another sweater – but that was when I thought the baby was due in October (I must have gotten friend’s due dates confused). So, once I realized that the baby would never get the chance to wear the tiny little long sleeved sweater that I made for her, I had to find a suitable replacement that I could make quickly!
Insert the Emma Tunic… it was an awesome pattern at a very reasonable price and it knit up super quickly! Seriously, you could do it in a single day if you didn’t have kids running around that needed your attention 😉
I messed up the pleat on one side, but I don’t think it looks too bad. Plus, I think I understand better for the next one I try to make.
Of course, something seemed like it was missing with this little tunic… and that’s when I found this pattern for the Perfect Diaper Cover. It truly is perfect! Super easy instructions, quick to make and oh the possibilities that there could be with all sorts of fabrics that are available.
So, what do you think?
The yarn isn’t my favorite – it’s Red Heart Soft but, it’s washable and actually quite nice feeling for a cheap acrylic. The washable factor was the key thing here, so it worked out just fine. Next time I’d plan a bit better and use a cotton or some sort of blend that was still washable but a little nicer. Hey, I used what I had on hand though and it worked out just fine. 🙂
When I was looking through my button stash and found this awesome red button, I knew I had to use it. I love the color combination here! So glad to actually have some perfect red pin-dot fabric in my stash as well. This project counts as completely free since I’ve had all the supplies for quite some time already 🙂 LOVE it when it works out that way!